Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Tall, small and smaller

Three views into my world:

I have a 10 year old who is approaching her 25th birthday any minute now.  She is independent and sometimes surly, but I am reassured that she still needs me when I hear her ask her father "is Mama here, too?"  Several strangers told me this weekend that she is beautiful, which is lovely - and true - but what I really want to tell them is "you don't know the half of it."  She is a loving big sister and a helpful oldest daughter, and I really hope that someday, when my job as disciplinarian is done, I can be both her mother and her friend.

I have a 2 year old who is fully embracing it's reputation.  She is sweet and charming and sometimes kicks me in the face.  Things are a little harder for her now and then but she doesn't know it: I watched her today, bravely riding her pony on hands and knees without a trace of fear.  I watched her tiny little body holding her therapist's hand as they left the arena, and how she stomp-stomp-stomped the dust from her feet like an old pro. I watched her and realized how strong she is. She may look like a china doll, but this girl is tougher than I have ever been.

I have a 1 year old who is exhausting.  She goes and goes and goes.  She says "no" and shakes her head all day long. She may have a career in shot-put because she is perfecting her throw with her sippy cup allllllll day long. She has the sweetest curly hair and twinkly eyes, and because the growth chart reassures me that her dimensions are perfectly healthy I can also revel in her deliciously squishy belly.  This girl is so funny and clever.  She's going to take this world by storm.

Just wait.

No comments: