Monday, December 31, 2007

In the books

I have mixed feelings about bringing 2007 to a close, though I spose it doesn't matter all that much -- it's coming to an end whether I have mixed feelings or not.

I've always been fairly melancholy about the New Year. Maybe if I was more of a "glass half full" kind of girl I'd see it as a fresh start, but I've usually approached it as some kind of loss. Well, I've had my fill of loss already this year. And at the risk of sounding cold or dismissive, I'd like to leave the loss behind and close the door on 2007. There is little for me to remember fondly about this year and so I'm looking forward to all the opportunities that 2008 might hold:

Big changes at work, with (hopefully!) a new job and new responsibilities, not to mention a new salary.

Bigger changes at home, with renovations and -- bonus! -- redecorating galore. Ooooh, and landscaping! I almost forgot the landscaping.

Watching Sara as she becomes bigger, smarter, sweeter, and stronger every day. She kills me, this one. This has to be what they mean when they say "love grows."

Exciting changes at the lake, with a new house to match my brother's new boardwalk. I envision many many happy days there with family and friends.

Another diet. Of course there will be another diet. Isn't there always?

Travel. Who knows when, who knows where -- but it's coming to be sure.

There are some things that I know I'll miss this year... no garden as the property is bound to be a construction zone, and probably not as much time at the lake since it's going to be underway as well. And of course my parents. Always my parents.

Yep, ready to close this book and pick up the next one. It's been a long time coming. Happy New Year everyone!

No comments: