Sunday, February 10, 2008

Living the dream

I have this vivid memory: It was maybe six or seven years ago. Rob and I were dating but still a year or so away from getting engaged. It was a very cold, dark, post-Christmas morning and I was driving into work (a job I didn't espeically like)listening to Christmas carols on the radio, totally bitter about my career and completely resigned to my lot in life -- never married, no kids. I made peace with my fate on Fall Creek Parkway somewhere between Capitol and Senate.

It was not a good morning.

Fast forward to yesterday: It's a cold but sunny Saturday afternoon. My husband is at home and I've got my sweet girl in the minivan with me. We're on our way to the happiest places on Earth -- no, not Disney, but DSW, Memoiors, and Target. I've got XM Kids playing (an oh-so-welcome reprieve from Elmo, let me tell you) and Sara is be-bopping in the back seat, asking for "moh moo-gick?" when a commercial comes on.

I could not be happier.

The highlight of my day came when we were listening to Roger Day sing "Dream Big!" For those of you who aren't familiar with this preschool anthem, the chorus goes something like "you've got to sing loud, jump high, and dream big!"

And then Sara, without dropping a beat adds "and BOUNCE!"

Love. Love, love, love, love, love.

No comments: