Thursday, May 07, 2009

Not funny ha-ha

Bodies are funny.

I was looking at the portrait work on a photographer's website today and was suddenly struck by how very odd the human body really is.

It is hard and angled
and
soft and round.

It is soft and smooth
and
stubbly.

It is flabby
and
strong.

It is oily
and
wet
and
dry
and
hairy.

It is always changing.

It is never good enough.

It is the best I've got -- at least in this moment.

Bodies are odd: gangly, bendy, wiggly, bumpy
and
mysterious: autonomic, reflexive, cyclic
yet
beautiful: in the eye of the beholder.

My body limits me
and
enables me.

It allows me to see - hear - smell - taste - feel
the world
and then
remember it.

It gives me life
and
someday will take it away.

No two are alike
and yet
I have just described my body
and
yours.

I hate my body
and
I love it for giving me a child.

Bodies are funny.
Not funny ha-ha
but
curious
compelling
puzzling.

An amazing mystery.

Perhaps I should take better care of it
and
learn to love it after all.

No comments: